Hit the Play Button!
Caribbean Students to Atlantic Canada Podcast
CS2AC Episode 4: A Bahamian Graduate with a Degree in Public Relations from Mount Saint Vincent University Explains How Embracing Change and New Experiences While Studying Led to Great Opportunities After Graduation
On this session of the Caribbean Students to Atlantic Canada Podcast we talk with Kenya Dames, a recent graduate of Mount Saint Vincent University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She pursued a Public Relations degree with a minor in Marketing.
Kenya, who is from Grand Bahama, Bahamas, graduated from Grand Bahama Catholic High School and headed to university after graduating. Kenya delves into the details of her degree, apartment set up and job advice . She also talks about how her co-op work experience through MSVU led to a full-time position with the Canadian government after graduation.
In this session you will learn:
- What it was like for Kenya to switch universities
- Why she chose an apartment off campus instead of on-campus accommodations
- How she utilized Kijiji and Bed Bug registries when hunting for a new spot
- How the MSVU International Office made a huge first impression on her
- About how she received $2,500/ semester from the MSVU bursaries program
- Why she chose to work while being a student and her job-hunting tips
- The importance of honing your people skills
- How volunteering can be a great resume builder for international students
- How MSVU walks students through the co-op process ( A Co-op work term combines what was learned in the classroom with job experience prior to completing one’s degree. )
- Snow management tips for international student *Hint: Say No To Sheepskin Ugg Boots!*
A CAREER IN PUBLIC RELATIONS
About the City
About Halifax: As a Caribbean student in Halifax, you will not be disappointed while taking a break from the books! The Halifax waterfront boardwalk is found alongside the world’s second largest ice-free harbour. There are also lots of restaurants, cafes and galleries for you to check out. Read more about Halifax (here).
Resources Mentioned In This Interview